Skip to main content

The Guilty Mother by Diane Jeffrey

I was given a copy of The Guilty Mother in exchange for my honest review.  This book was written by Diane Jeffrey and published by HQ Digital on August 2, 2019.

46393688. sy475

2013- Melissa Slade is the mother of twin baby girls.  When one dies of SIDS (cot death), everyone believes her.  When the second dies of SIDS, she is sentenced to life in prison for the murders of her baby girls.

Present day- The court has been presented with new evidence that could mean release for Melissa.  Reporter Jonathan Hunt gets roped into reporting on this woman again.  As he digs deeper into the people around her, he really starts to question Melissa's guilt.

If she didn't kill her babies....who did?

First off-I feel like my experience reading this book was vastly different than the majority of readers on Goodreads.  It was just okay for me.  There were a lot of scandalous plot threads woven into the book, and I don't feel like they all got properly resolved (Kathy, the stepdaughter, Holly and her lies, etc).  The first part felt very much like the whole "mother loses mind and murders babies" scenario, while the back half felt like "if she didn't do it, who did?"  I kind of wish writers would branch out from the "crazy exhausted mom" theme.  It's old.  It doesn't sit well with me.  Postpartum depression is a real thing and needs to be taken seriously...BUT that's not what we're here to discuss.

I felt like the story was decent but too much was packed into it and I found myself confused at times.  I didn't connect to the characters like I probably should have.  There was a lot left unresolved for me (see above) and the resolution we did get was just kind of.... "meh."

If you read thrillers non-stop like I do, I would suggest giving this one a pass.  If you don't, by all means give this book a shot.  Like I said earlier, I was definitely not in the majority opinion with this one.

Have you read this?  What did you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Post-Here We Go!

This is still a little insane to me.  Last week I wasn't even thinking a Bookstagram would be possible for me, let alone a blog!  What if I'm not interesting?  What if my reviews are terrible?  What if I actually have BAD taste in books? I guess we're going to find out.  Follow me.  Be patient with me.  Grow with me.  Let's explore as many amazing stories, wonderful authors, and unforgettable books as we can! 💙

Is One Truly the Loneliest Number?

I was given a digital copy of One? by Jennifer L. Cahill.  She reached out to me through Twitter, and she was so sweet.  I couldn't wait to dive into her book.💙 The Plot (From Goodreads): It's London in the mid-noughties before Facebook, iPhones and ubiquitous wifi. Zara has just moved to London for her first real job and struggles to find her feet in a big city with no instruction manual. Penelope works night and day in an investment bank with little or no time for love. At twenty-eight she is positively ancient as far as her mother is concerned and the pressure is on for her to settle down as the big 3-0 is looming. Charlie spends night and day with his band who are constantly teetering on the verge of greatness. Richard has relocated to London from his castle in Scotland in search of the one, and Alyx is barely in one place long enough to hold down a relationship let alone think about the future. One? follows the highs and lows of a group of twenty-somethings living ...

Blood and Honey by Shelby Mahurin

 I should have stopped at book 1. That’s it. That’s the review.